EvilCoy's Scarred Lands
Fangsfall Generic Information
- Walls: The walls of Fangsfall are 10’ thick masonry walls made from bricks and stones from the Forgefire and Bronze Hills. Guard towers are at every 200’ of wall and the city has three main gates: Northgate (most heavily used), Westgate, and Eastgate.
- Streets: Most major streets are 25’ wide cobblestone avenues with ditches at either side to carry away waste to the canals. This allows wagons to pass both directions in the middle and provide a walking area to the sides for pedestrians. Minor streets and the bazaar is cobblestone with a series of drains that travel to the nearest canals. Residential areas, alleyways, and poor areas generally have streets of hardpacked dirt or mud.
- Sewers: Largely none as this city is built close to the water table. The sewers that are present invariably only go into the ground a few feet and are really nothing more than pipe to the nearest canal. The poor who cannot afford this luxury take chamberpots out and throw into the streets or nearby canals. As can be expected, this would make the city very odorous if not for the near constant breeze blowing off the Blossoming Sea. Street Cleaners are frequently hired by nobles and mercantile establishments to ensure nothing lingers.
- Canals: This network of stone lined ditches provides a form of a sewage and drainage system as well as easy boating for small craft and fishing boats. However, as they are primarily for waste removal, the canals don’t usually have anyone near them who doesn’t have to be. The city watch tours the canals with the city engineer weekly to look for degradation or blockages within the canals.
- Lighting: Major streets are well lit with a series of hanging lanterns (continual flame). Similarly, the bazaar is well lit as trading can go well into the evening. The rest of the city is dependent on oil burning lanterns and other more mundane sources of light.
- Watchmen/Patrols: City Watch are efficient and competent (Ftr 2 at least). They usually wear chainmail armor, shields, and carry clubs, broadswords, and spears. They patrol with 4 watchmen and one sergeant (Ftr 5) who also carries a Watchwhistle and Watchsword. The magical whistle when blown creates a shrill whistle then creates an authoritative voice that yells “Guardsmen report to [location]. A crime has been committed or your help is needed.” This voice is easily audible to anyone outside within 500’ of the user and the voice repeats until the wearer desires it to stop or until the wearer is unconscious. The Watchsword is a magical longsword +1 that grants the Alertness feat and the ability to See Invisible. Both items are stamped with the heraldry of Fangsfall and to possess one without being in the guard is a serious offense.